Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Recap 2 - First Winter

After the swearing-in ceremony we all spent a night in Kiev and then left the next day. I left Kiev around 7 and arrived in Haivoron near midnight, I didn't know it at the time but the bus pulled over in Uman and from there we got a ride from my Counterpart's friend Vitaly, who is actually a Gorodki national champion.

Gorodki
Gorodki for those unfamiliar is a traditional Russian/Ukrainian sport that involves hurling a metal pipe at a stack of bricks. Haivoron is renowned for producing Gorodki champions...kind of like Texas and football. One of my 7th graders actually traveled to Crimea for a tournament which is where Vitaly (my counterpart's neighbor) is now for the same reason.


On Living with A Babushka
For those of you who are unfamiliar with the living conditions Peace Corps has established there are two options for all Peace Corps volunteers living overseas; to live with a host family or to live alone. Depending on housing situations in different countries/towns/villages, you may live alone (if you can find a place to live in) or you may live with a family. Living with Helena Vasylyvna had it's challenges and perks. If it hadn't been for her Haivoron, wouldn't have gotten a volunteer because there wouldn't have been a place for me to live. I owe her a debt of gratitude that I tried to repay in manual labor while I lived with her. Ultimately I knew I wanted to live by myself, this is something I told my counterpart when I met him and so about a month after living with H.V. I moved into my own Apartment.

Isolation
From September 27th to December 17th, I was constantly around other people. I met with my language teacher and cluster mates for about 5/6 hours a day, came up and worked around my host parent's house, ate dinner with the family and then I'd read a little and head to bed. To have a place of my own was wonderful, I'd come back from school/meetings, throw down my jacket on a chair, go grab a beer and relax by myself.

Personal time is tricky. I hated being home if it was Friday or Saturday night in the states, couldn't stand it, but here... here it's different. If I'm home Saturday night, I just enjoy the time to myself. The language barrier is difficult. I can communicate any of my needs, and given a little effort on both sides, I can understand almost everything said to me but it still requires effort. It's difficult to represent a country 24/7 which is why I'm so thankful for my down time. I've discovered the recluse within but he hasn't had a chance to really manifest himself because I make it a point to be available to the people in my town, in case they want to practice their English or hang out with an American. As a result I've got a couple Friends in town. I've got some friends who are teaching me how to curse, I play Volleyball with some, cards with others and so on. I've got a nice little niche carved out here so far. I've been able to find some really good people here, their kindness and generosity is something I try to repay whenever I can. I can't believe how many sentences I've started with the letter I. That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment